This program is designed to help permanently break the cycle of impoverishment for the people we serve. We will be creating four enrichment programs: an Adult Education Program, a Resume Building Program, a Computer Literacy Program, and a Smart Spending Program to help the community members become self sufficient and independent members of a society once again.
Throughout the year, we have great number of individuals and families reach out to us for financial assistance for rent and utilities. In 2019 we have provided more than $230,000 in rental, utility assistance and zakat distribution. Masajid often refer their clients to us to receive financial assistance during their time of need.
Ramadan Zakat Program
Each year MFS distributes thousands of dollars to low income families during the month of Ramadan. In 2019, MFS has distributed over $120,000 to more than 400 low income families, including refugees and other community members. Thank you to IAGD, MCWS, Unity Center, Tawheed Center, and other partnering masajid for helping our dear brothers and sisters in need during Ramadan.
Muslim Family Services Zakat Program Requirements
- By appointment only!
- Zakat issued on a first-come, first-serve basis
- Applicant must have all paperwork at appointment. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Applicant must be respectful and polite
- One check per household
- Applicants must be present during sign up and pick up with ID
- Applicant must be receiving state assistance through DHS (i.e. Food Stamps/Bridge Card, Medicaid, cash assistance)
- Valid Michigan Driver’s license or State I.D (Both Applicants and Spouse)
- Social Security Card (Both Applicants and Spouse)
- Most Recent Proof of Income
- Latest Tax Return
- Bank Statement
- Documents from MDHHS to prove you are receiving benefits
We will contact you regarding the status of your zakat. Due to the high volume of applicants, please do not call us regarding the status of your application.
If applicant received zakat assistance from another organization, they must show documentation.
Applicants are not guaranteed to receive zakat checks.
If applicants do not provide all required documents, they will be denied.